Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Wyandot County / 6-88 Wyandot County Courthouse & The Shawshank Redemption [5]

  • Lady Liberty Lady Liberty
  • IMG 0041 IMG 0041
  • IMG 0035 IMG 0035
  • IMG 0034 IMG 0034
  • Wyandot County Courthhouse Dedication 5-23-18 Wyandot County Courthhouse Dedication 5-23-18
Title, side A
Wyandot County Courthouse & The Shawshank Redemption
Text, side A
Wyandot County’s third and current courthouse was constructed from 1899-1900. Designed by the firm of Yost & Packard, the architects of courthouses in Wood, Harrison, and other counties, the building is a wonderful example of Beaux-Arts Classicism. The third floor courtroom was featured in the 1994 motion picture “The Shawshank Redemption,” based on a Stephen King novella. Director-screenwriter Frank Darabont chose the courtroom for the opening scenes of the movie, which features Academy Award-winning actors Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. Many courtroom “extras” were Wyandot County residents. A time capsule inside Lady Justice, atop the dome, contains a copy of the movie, commemorating ‘Shawshank’ enthusiasts who supported the statue’s 2009 restoration. A restoration of the building was completed in 2015. The courthouse and adjacent jail were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Address
109 South Sandusky Avenue
Upper Sandusky, OH 43351
Location
Wyandot County Courthouse