Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ashtabula County / 14-4 Hotel Ashtabula [9]

  • Former Hotel Ashtabula Former Hotel Ashtabula
  • Marker 14-4 setting Marker 14-4 setting
  • Preparing for the Unveiling Preparing for the Unveiling
  • The Unveiling The Unveiling
  • IMG 0524 IMG 0524
  • Marker 14-4 front Marker 14-4 front
  • Marker 14-4 rear Marker 14-4 rear
Title, side A
Hotel Ashtabula
Text, side A
The Hotel Ashtabula was built in 1920 during an economic boom that lasted most of that decade. Architecturally, it represents a combination of Second Renaissance Revival and Georgian Revival styles. The H.L. Stevens and Company of Chicago and New York designed and built the hotel and others like it in Cleveland, Dayton, and Warren, Ohio and throughout the Midwest. The building included a ball room accommodating 300, a dining room that could seat 125, and club meeting and social rooms. A prominent structure of this downtown street, the Hotel Ashtabula was a hub for social activity. (Continued other side)
Text, side B
The Hotel Ashtabula has a long history of welcoming people from all walks of life, from business people to summer tourists. The nearby Palace and Castro theatres offered entertainment to these inhabitants. Hotel occupancy ceased around 1965 because of a major fire in adjoining buildings. The Hotel Ashtabula was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. When the hotel was renovated in 2012, the redesign incorporated the characteristics of the original building to preserve its historical character. The old hotel reopened as the offices of Signature Health in 2014.
Address
4726 Main Avenue
Ashtabula, OH 44004