Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Butler County / 37-9 Clark Lane / Lane Public Library [6]

  • IMG 0160 IMG 0160
  • IMG 0174 IMG 0174
  • IMG 1176 IMG 1176
  • IMG 7798 IMG 7798
  • IMG 7795 IMG 7795
  • IMG 7801 IMG 7801
Title, side A
Clark Lane
Title, side B
Lane Public Library
Text, side A
Clark Lane (1823-1907), industrialist and philanthropist, was a son of John Lane (1793-1880) and Rosanah Crum (1795-1877). John came with his family to the Ohio Country when it was still part of the Northwest Territory. As a young man, Clark worked in his family’s blacksmith shop, and eventually helped found Owens, Lane & Dyer Machine Company in 1854. It built agricultural machinery, sawmills, papermaking machines, and other products, initiating Hamilton’s prominence in metals manufacturing. Lane funded the Butler County Children’s Home, an orphanage for over a century, and constructed an octagon house as his residence on Third Street. He built this library in 1866, also as an octagon, and donated it to the people of Hamilton. A 19th century admirer wrote, “The name and generous deeds of Clark Lane will never fade from the memories of a grateful people who have been recipients of his favor.”
Text, side B
Clark Lane built this library in 1866 and donated it to the people of Hamilton two years later. The 1913 Great Miami River flood catastrophe damaged much of the building and many of its books and records. The refurbished library reopened in 1914 and was dedicated as the “Lane Public Library.” A fire five years later did considerable damage but library leaders responded in the years following by enlarging the building, establishing community outreach locations and, in 1938, offered a bookmobile service to rural areas. After World War II, the library expanded into a system that, as of 2015, served over 187,000 people in western Butler County with libraries in Hamilton, Fairfield and Oxford, the Smith Library of Regional History, the bookmobile, and a community technology center.
Address
300 N. 3rd Street
Hamilton, OH 45011
Location
Lane Public Library-Hamilton Branch
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.402629, Longitude: -84.558541.
Google map: