Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Huron County / 6-39 The Tremont House [3]

  • Marker 6-39 setting Marker 6-39 setting
  • Marker 6-39 Dedication Marker 6-39 Dedication
  • IMG 8752 IMG 8752
Title, side A
The Tremont House
Text, side A
Built in 1846, the Tremont House was opened by Loel and Samuel B. Chandler to serve stagecoach traffic on the Maumee Pike (U.S. Route 20). Briefly a hotel, this Bellevue landmark has housed grocery and hardware stores, a pharmacy, and even a cigar factory. The third floor ballroom hosted community events and fraternal organizations such as the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF). The building's west side is on the western boundary of the Firelands region of the Connecticut Western Reserve. An example of Greek Revival architecture, the Tremont House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
Address
101-103 East Main Street
Bellevue, OH 44811
Location
The Tremont House
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.238889, Longitude: -82.325000.
Google map: