Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Medina County / 9-32 Saint Paul's Episcopal Church [1]

Title, side A
Sain Paul's Episcopal Church
Text, side A
On March 11, 1817, Rev. Roger Searle of Connecticut met with a group of settlers at the home of Zenas Hamilton in Medina Township and founded St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. On April 10, 1817, the congregants cleared land near Weymouth and built a log church, which served as a school, place of worship for other dominations, and meeting house. The congregation eventually moved to Medina to serve the village’s growing population. Around 1883, noted Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd designed a new church in the Victorian Gothic style, thereafter described as “incomparably the finest Episcopal church in any country town at the time.” The first service was held on December 19, 1884. St. Paul’s was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and is the oldest congregation in Medina County still in existence.
Address
317 East Liberty Strteet
Medina, OH 44256
Location
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.835320, Longitude: -84.515820.
Google map: