Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Warren County / 18-83 Union Township Town Hall [4]

  • UnionTownshipTownHall3 UnionTownshipTownHall3
  • UnionTownshipTownHall2 UnionTownshipTownHall2
  • UnionTownshipTownHall1 UnionTownshipTownHall1
  • Knights of Pythia Lodge 703 Knights of Pythia Lodge 703
Title, side A
Union Township Town Hall
Text, side A
The Union Township Hall was a center of community life from the time of its construction around 1907. The hall included the offices of township government, a community hall, and club meeting rooms, a rarer combination in the 21st century. Local government and services occupied the first floor. The second floor "opera house" retains many original features, including the stage and stage backdrops. The hall hosted many types of entertainment, including church choirs and the Knights of Pythias Band. Leaving the township’s possession, the hall was used by various owners for a church, art studio, and bed and breakfast.
Text, side B
The Wilson & Sons Manufacturing Company in South Lebanon was in part responsible for the existence of the hall. The company, which held the patent on their double-seamed powder keg, sold Union Township the lot for the building and donated another portion. James Wilson and his son-in-law, James T. McClelland were Union Township Trustees. The Wilson concern was on the South bank of the Little Miami River. On the opposite bank was Ahimaaz King’s Great Western Powder Company. These were two of the largest manufacturing companies of their kind in the late 19th century.
83 Section Street
South Lebanon, OH 45065
Latitude: 39.370097, Longitude: -84.212919.
Google map: