Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 126-18 Olmsted's Origins/ Olmsted Township [2]

  • Side 1- Olmsted's Origins Side 1- Olmsted's Origins
  • Side 2- Olmsted Township Side 2- Olmsted Township
Title, side A
Olmsted's Origins
Title, side B
Olmsted Township
Text, side A
The community of Olmsted commemorated its bicentennial in 2014. In 1795, the Connecticut Land Company auctioned a tract of land called Township 6, Range 15. Almost half the northern side was purchased by Aaron Olmsted, though he would die before seeing the land. In 1814, James Geer cleared a plot in the southeastern corner of the township to grow corn. He built a log house and moved his family there. Originally called Kingston, the township was renamed Lenox in 1823. In 1829, the settlement became Olmsted; in return, Aaron Olmsted's son Charles donated 500 books for the creation of a community library.
Text, side B
Agriculture dominated early township life. In the early 20th century, the township became part of what was described as "the largest greenhouse area in the country," growing mainly tomatoes and then flowers. Later, residential development took over much farmland. Certain road names commemorate early township residents, including Bronson, Cook, Fitch, Jennings, John, Lewis, Schady, Sprague, Stearns, and Usher. By the 21st century, Olmsted remained one of only two townships in Cuyahoga County, although parts have been incorporated into Olmsted Falls, North Olmsted, Berea, and Brook Park. The community still has many houses dating to the 19th century, some as far back as 1820.
Address
26900 Cook Road
Olmsted Township, OH 44138
Location
Olmsted Township Hall
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.383051, Longitude: -81.921805.
Google map: