Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Marion County / 17-51 Old Marion Cemetery [3]

  • Old Marion Cemetery Old Marion Cemetery
  • Old Marion Cemetery Old Marion Cemetery
  • Old Marion Cemetery Old Marion Cemetery
Title, side A
Old Marion Cemetery- Also known as the Quarry Street or Pioneer Cemetery
Title, side B
Old Marion Cemetery- Also known as the Quarry Street or Pioneer Cemetery
Text, side A
Marion founder Eber Baker donated this two-acre plot for use as a cemetery shortly after platting the village in 1822. The oldest legible headstone bears an 1812 burial date, indicating that it may have been moved to the site after the opening of the cemetery. While complete records are not available, approximately 200 burials took place in the cemetery with the final one believed to have occurred in 1872. Many of the 65 victims of an 1854 cholera outbreak were buried here. The cemetery's location next to an active railroad, combined with unfavorable soil conditions, eventually created a need for relocation. This led to the establishment of a cememtery on Delaware Avenue that opened in 1858. Many of the original internments were subsequently moved to the new Marion Cemetery.
Text, side B
Same as Side A
Address
274 Quarry St
Marion, OH 43302
Location
Old Marion Cemetery/ Quarry Street Cemetery
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.591260, Longitude: -83.124473.
Google map: