Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Mahoning County / 38-50 Mahoning National Bank Building/ Central Tower [1]

Title, side A
Mahoning National Bank Building
Title, side B
Central Tower
Text, side A
Designed by noted Detroit architect Albert Kahn (1869-1942), this 13-story Commercial Style building was contructed for the Mahoning National Bank in 1910 and opened in 1911. Advances in steel-frame structural systems and Kahn's pioneering developments in fireproof reinforced concrete construction allowed buildings in America to soar to new heights. In 1925 the building's width doubled with the addition of five bays. Rich exterior details consisting of piers joined by Renaissance-styled arches emphasize the verticality of the white terra cotta skyscraper. The windows have ornamental iron windowsill guards. The banking lobby retains much of the original lavish interior characterized by black walnut paneling, coffered plaster ceilings, and period light fixtures. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Text, side B
One of northeast Ohio's finest Art Deco examples, the 17-story Central Tower was designed by Morris W. Sheibel (1887-1976) for Central Savings & Loan in 1929. Scheibel's use of stepped-back upper floors, an Egyptian-inspired entrance, and chevron-patterned tiles at the parapet reflects Art Deco's streamlined style. The opulent interior of the tower lobby retains a Botticino marble staircase, engraved brass elevator doors, ornately decorated metalwork, and a colorful molded plaster ceiling. Youngstown's tallest skyscraper, whose name has evolved over time to reflect the changes in ownership, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Scheibel and his partner Edgar Stanley also designed the Realty Building directly across Market Street.
Address
26 Market Street
Youngstown, OH 44503
Location
Mahoning Bank, Metropolitan (Central) Tower
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.099515, Longitude: -80.650114.
Google map: