Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Marion County / 11-51 Marion Mausoleum [1]

  • MarionMausoleum MarionMausoleum
Title, side A
Marion Mausoleum
Title, side B
Marion Mausoleum
Text, side A
The Marion Mausoleum represents a time in early 20th-century America in which burial practices changed because of advances in engineering and construction materials, concerns about hygiene, and a new rise in wealth among the middle class. Exhibiting elements of the Neo-Classical Revival and Prairie architectural styles, construction of the sandstone building began in 1906. The mausoleum opened to the public in 1916. The interior is comprised of marble and concrete. Furnishings include chandeliers, wool carpeting, and wrought iron furniture. Stained-glass windows admit natural light. Two windows feature an upside-down torch with a still-burning flame, which symbolizes a belief in eternal spiritual life after death and burial. The mausoleum has space for 383 internments. As of 2016, it is supported and maintained by a perpetual care fund.
Text, side B
Same as Side A
Address
1225 Mount Vernon Avenue
Marion, OH 43302
Location
Marion Mausoleum
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.581449, Longitude: -83.096206.
Google map: