Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Montgomery County / 24-57 Josephine and Hermene Schwarz [3]

  • ShwarzSisters1 ShwarzSisters1
  • SchwarzSisters2 SchwarzSisters2
  • SchwarzSisters3 SchwarzSisters3
Title, side A
Josephine and Hermene Schwarz
Title, side B
Josephine and Hermene Schwarz
Text, side A
Dayton natives Hermene (1902-1986) and Josephine Schwarz (1908-2004) were pioneers of dance who founded one of the first regional ballet companies in the country. In 1927, they opened the Schwarz School of Dance, which eventually became the Dayton Ballet in 1978. Josephine’s choreography blended classical ballet traditions and contemporary dance, creating a fusion of styles that through her students and other companies shaped the development of dance in the United States. The sisters are credited with introducing organized dance to African-American and underserved children in the Dayton area. As part of the sisters’ legacy, Josephine created a fund at the Dayton Foundation in memory of Hermene to support Dayton arts and artists.
Text, side B
Same as Side A
Address
140 N Main St
Dayton, OH 45402
Location
Victoria Theater
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.762452, Longitude: -84.192201.
Google map: