Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Union County / 20-80 Colonel Herman C. Doellinger Ohio National Guard Armory [1]

Title, side A
Colonel Herman C. Doellinger Ohio National Guard Armory
Title, side B
Colonel Herman C. Doellinger Ohio National Guard Armory
Text, side A
The Marysville Ohio National Guard Armory was the first such armory constructed in the state after the recognition of the Guard in 1909. The new armory and others like it were built in response to federalization of National Guard units after the passage of the Militia Act of 1903. Armory buildings served as the headquarters for local companies and provided drill rooms and arsenals for the storage of military equipment and supplies. Architect Charles Insco Williams designed Marysville's armory and it was built by James Laughlin, both of Dayton, Ohio. Marysville contractor George W. Fox provided the brickwork for the structure. Construction began in 1910 and was completed in 1911 at a cost of $19,886. (Continued on other side)
Text, side B
(Continued from other side) Local National Guard unit Company E, 4th Ohio Infantry Regiment moved into the armory on September 1, 1911. Later re-designated as part of the 166th Infantry Regiment, the company served in both World Wars. The community also used the armory for dances, meetings and public events. It was also to be the headquarters for local Civil War and Spanish American War veterans groups. On Memorial Day 1971, the Armory was rededicated and named in honor of Colonel Herman C. Doellinger (1890-1969), who served the 4th Regiment and 116th Infantry Division from 1907 to 1943. Budget cuts in 1992 caused the National Guard to consolidate and close several armories in Ohio, including the armory at Marysville.
Address
124 East 4th Street
Marysville, OH 43040
Location
Ohio National Guard Armory (retired)/ Victory Center
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.237722, Longitude: -83.365802.
Google map: