Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Seneca County / 12-74 Founding of Tiffin [5]

  • IMG 0564 IMG 0564
  • IMG 0562 IMG 0562
  • IMG 0566 IMG 0566
  • IMG 0561 IMG 0561
  • IMG 0565 IMG 0565
Title, side A
Founding of Tiffin
Title, side B
Founding of Tiffin
Text, side A
In 1822 Josiah Hedges purchased the land that would become Tiffin from the Delaware Land Office. By March, this land, situated across the Sandusky River from old Fort Ball (War of 1812) was surveyed and platted by General James Hedges, the brother of Josiah. These events marked the founding year for the city of Tiffin, which was named after Edward Tiffin, Ohio's first governor and a friend of Josiah Hedges. The legislature commissioned Thomas Henford, Isaac Minor and Cyrus Spink to establish Tiffin as the permanent seat of justice for Seneca County on March 25, 1822.
Text, side B
Same as Side A
Address
3 Riverside Drive
Tiffin, OH 44883
Location
Clouse-Kirian Leadership Park, intersection of S. Washington Street and Riverside Drive
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.117074, Longitude: -83.176841.
Google map: