Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Stark County / 26-76 The Crossing [2]

  • TheCrossing2 TheCrossing2
  • TheCrossing1 TheCrossing1
Title, side A
The Crossing
Title, side B
The Crossing
Text, side A
The coming of the railroads to Alliance is an important event in Stark County's history. In 1851, the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad (running SE to NW) and the Ohio & Pennsylvania Railroad (E to W) intersected at this location. It was known as “the crossing” and became the Village of Alliance. William Robinson, Jr., the president of the Ohio & Pennsylvania Railroad, is credited with applying the name "Alliance" to the crossing, dating to when the railroads bought rights-of-way in 1849 and anticipated the intersection of the lines. A plat named “Alliance” was recorded September 26, 1850. The Village of Alliance was established in 1854, when 100 citizens of the communities of Williamsport, Freedom, and Alliance (also known as Liberty), signed a petition to incorporate on March 15. The petition was accepted and recorded in June.
Text, side B
Same as Side A
Address
S Webb Avenue
Alliance, OH 44601
Location
Between Ash and E Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.921319, Longitude: -81.095860.
Google map: