Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Washington County / 11-84 The Northwest Ordinance, 1787 [19]

  • 11-84 Front of Campus Martias - marler 1-84 is in the background -- Great Museum 11-84 Front of Campus Martias - marler 1-84 is in the background -- Great Museum
  • 11-84 Another view of marker 8/31/2013 11-84 Another view of marker 8/31/2013
  • 11-84 The Ohio Company Purchase (other side) 8/31/2013 11-84 The Ohio Company Purchase (other side) 8/31/2013
  • 11-84 The Northwest Ordinance 8/31/2013 11-84 The Northwest Ordinance 8/31/2013
  • 11-84 The Ohio Comoany Purchase 11-84 The Ohio Comoany Purchase
  • 11-84 Campus Maritus 11-84 Campus Maritus
  • 11-84 Campus Maritus 11-84 Campus Maritus
  • 11-84 11-84
  • 11-84 Think History Teachers at Campus Martius Museum 11-84 Think History Teachers at Campus Martius Museum
  • 11-84 Cornerstone at Campus Martius Museum 11-84 Cornerstone at Campus Martius Museum
  • 11-84 Northwest Ordinance Bicentennial Seal 11-84 Northwest Ordinance Bicentennial Seal
  • 11-84 Ohio flag in front of Campus Martius Museum 11-84 Ohio flag in front of Campus Martius Museum
  • 11-84 Campus Martius Museum 11-84 Campus Martius Museum
  • 11-84 11-84
  • 11-84 Rufus Putnam well at Campus Martius Museum 11-84 Rufus Putnam well at Campus Martius Museum
Title, side A
The Northwest Ordinance, 1787
Title, side B
The Ohio Company Purchase
Text, side A
Following the establishment of the public land system in 1785, the Continental Congress appointed a committee, chaired by James Monroe, to establish government in the new territory north and west of the Ohio River. Drafted prior to the Constitution of the United States, the Ordinance of 1787 provided the mechanism by which prospective states would enter the Union on an equal basis with existing states. It also prohibited slavery in the new territory and pledged good faith in dealing with Native American tribes. According to this plan, the Northwest Territory became the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota in due course.
Text, side B
In March 1786, eleven men met in the Bunch of Grapes Tavern near Boston, Massachusetts, and formed the Ohio Company of Associates. Led by the Reverend Manasseh Cutler and General Rufus Putnam, the Ohio Company influenced the final form of the Northwest Ordinance while establishing the basis for Ohio's first settlement and its eventual statehood. The Ohio Company's original purchase comprised 1.5 million acres bounded by the Seven Ranges on the east and the Ohio River on the south. Campus Martius, its fortified seat, was established here in April 1788; in July of that year General Arthur St. Clair arrived to assume the governorship of the Northwest Territory.
Address
601 Second Street
Marietta, OH 45750
Location
Campus Martius Museum, 601 Second St.
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.421074, Longitude: -81.460640.
Google map: