Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Warren County / 4-83 John Evans House [11]

  • 4-83 John Evans House 4-83 John Evans House
  • 4-83 The Marker 4-83 The Marker
  • 4-83 Another View 4-83 Another View
  • 4-83 The Town 4-83 The Town
  • 4-83 More Houses 4-83 More Houses
  • 4-83 John Evans House 4-83 John Evans House
  • 4-83 The John Evans House 4-83 The John Evans House
  • 4-83 Evans House from the north 4-83 Evans House from the north
  • 4-83 Marker 4-83 Marker
  • 4-83 4-83 John Evans House Marker - Waynesville 4-83 4-83 John Evans House Marker - Waynesville
  • 4-83 4-83 John Evans House - Waynesville 4-83 4-83 John Evans House - Waynesville
Title, side A
John Evans House
Text, side A
David and Rachel Burnet Evans built this Federal style house in 1836. Their son, Dr. John Evans (1814-1897), nationally known physician, statesman, and educator, lived here as a young man. After graduating from Lynn Medical College in Cincinnati, Dr. Evans became a prominent physician in Indiana and helped establish the Indiana Hospital for the Insane. He is recognized as one of the founders and first president of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He was appointed by President Abraham Lincoln as the first governor of the Colorado Territory and is credited for developing the railroad system in Colorado. His desire to institute a system of higher education in the territory led to the founding of Colorado Seminary, later known as Denver University. Evanston, Illinois and Mt. Evans near Denver were named in his honor.
Address
129 N. Main Street
Waynesville, OH 45068
Location
129 North Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.531177, Longitude: -84.081930.
Google map: