Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Van Wert County / 4-81 The Brumback Library [5]

  • 4-81 The Marker 4-81 The Marker
  • 4-81 The Setting 4-81 The Setting
  • 4-81 Another View 4-81 Another View
  • 4-81 And Closer 4-81 And Closer
  • 4-81 The Brumback Library 4-81 The Brumback Library
Title, side A
The Brumback Library
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
When local banker and businessman John Sanford Brumback left a large bequest to Van Wert County for the purpose of establishing a countywide library in 1897, such institutions did not yet exist, and Ohio had no legal provision for a tax-supported county library system. In response, the Ohio Legislature passed an enabling law in April 1898, marking the beginning of the county library system in the United States. Designed by Toledo architect David L. Stine and built of Bedford limestone in an eclectic Romanesque style, the Brumback Library was dedicated in 1901. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, it continues to serve as a center of knowledge for all of Van Wert County.
Address
215 W. Main Street
Van Wert, OH 45891
Location
215 West Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.869619, Longitude: -84.584650.
Google map: