Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Union County / 17-80 Jerome Township Soldier's Monument [8]

  • 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Bob Parrott 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Bob Parrott
  • 17-80 Marker Dedication Ceremony - Courtsey of Bob Parrott 17-80 Marker Dedication Ceremony - Courtsey of Bob Parrott
  • 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff
  • 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff
  • 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff
  • 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff
  • 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff 17-80 Marker - Courtsey of Andy Verhoff
  • 17-80 Cheryl & Ernest Tuller 17-80 Cheryl & Ernest Tuller
Title, side A
Jerome Township Soldier's Monument
Text, side A
This monument was dedicated on Memorial Day of 1913 to honor the Union soldiers of the Civil War from Jerome Township. Many citizens, school children, and Civil War veterans attended the dedication as Col. W.L. Curry, who fought at Chickamauga, spoke to the crowd. The zinc monument contains the names of 400 soldiers of the township. The shaft is just over 21 feet high. Placed inside was a time capsule containing a number of historical documents including 60 photographs of Civil War veterans. Donations from a grateful community and a bequest from R.L. Woodburn, a Civil War veteran and Ohio legislator funded the monument.
Text, side B
"Some of your boys, my fellow citizens, fought on almost every great battlefield of the war. They were at Gettysburg...Chickamauga..., they were at Shiloh, Stone River, Cheat Mountain, Port Republic, Antietam, Vicksburg, and many of the battlefields of Virginia; they were in the 'one Hundred Days under fire from Chattanooga to Atlanta': some of them marched with Sherman to the sea and others were at Appomattox at the surrender of Lee's army. This is the true story of the services of the soldiers of this township to whom you pay tribute." – from the address by Colonel W. L. Curry at monument's dedication, May 30, 1913
Address
Corner of Route 42 and Industrial Parkway
Plain City, OH 43064
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.156245, Longitude: -83.236953.
Google map: