Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Tuscarawas County / 23-79 Camp Meigs [7]

  • 23-79 Marker Side A 23-79 Marker Side A
  • 23-79 Marker Side B 23-79 Marker Side B
  • 23-79 Location view 23-79 Location view
  • 23-79 The marker from distance 6/29/2013 23-79 The marker from distance 6/29/2013
  • 23-79 The marker 6/29/2013 23-79 The marker 6/29/2013
  • 23-79 #23-79 Camp Meigs A 23-79 #23-79 Camp Meigs A
  • 23-79 #23-79 Camp Meigs B 23-79 #23-79 Camp Meigs B
Title, side A
Camp Meigs
Text, side A
Camp Meigs was established in 1861 at what later became the Tuscarawas County Fairgrounds. At this site, two regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the 51st and 80th, were mustered into the Union Army. The 51st OVI was organized in October 1861. Six of its ten companies were from Tuscarawas County and fought in the battles of Perryville, Stones River, Chickamuaga, Missionary Ridge, Kennesaw Mountain, and Nashville. The 80th OVI was organized in December 1861. Four of its ten companies were from Tuscarawas County and fought in the battles of Corinth, Vicksburg, Mission Ridge, and Bentonville.
Address
259 South Tuscarawas Avenue
Dover, OH 44622
Location
Tuscarawas County Fairgrounds
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.513718, Longitude: -81.472135.
Google map: