Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Tuscarawas County / 14-79 Uhrich's Mill 1806 [6]

  • 14-79 Site of Uhrich's Mill from Trenton Ave bridge. 14-79 Site of Uhrich's Mill from Trenton Ave bridge.
  • 14-79 Site of Uhrich's mill and dam. 14-79 Site of Uhrich's mill and dam.
  • 14-79 Marker 14-79 14-79 Marker 14-79
  • 14-79 Marker 14-79 Side B 14-79 Marker 14-79 Side B
  • 14-79 The marker back 6/29/2013 14-79 The marker back 6/29/2013
  • 14-79 The marker front 6/29/2013 14-79 The marker front 6/29/2013
Title, side A
Uhrich's Mill 1806
Title, side B
Clay Capital 1833-1980s
Text, side A
Michael Uhrich, Sr. founded Uhrich's Mill on this site in 1806. Uhrich emigrated from Pennsylvania in 1804 and became one of the first County Commissioners upon the formation of Tuscarawas County in February 1808. In 1833, the same year Mill Township was organized, Michael Uhrich, Jr. platted the town named Waterford, which became Uhrichsville approximately six years later. During the Ohio-Erie Canal period, Uhrich's Mill - consisting of four wheels (one for sawing wood, one for wheat, and two for grinding corn) - became the focal point for nearly all grain produced in the Stillwater Valley and shipped to Cleveland markets via the canal.
Text, side B
Clay, one of Tuscarawas County's vast natural resources, led to the eventual formation of more than 30 clay plants throughout the county. Many products came from this natural and abundant resource, including brick, flue liners, and sewer pipes. During the heyday of the industry, the clay plants produced nearly one-fourth of Ohio's clay products. The decline of the sewer pipe industry began with the advent of the wide use of plastic pipe. To celebrate this heritage, Uhrichsville and Dennison citizens held the National Clay Week Festival from the late 1940s until 2001.
Location
Twin City Water Department
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.386409, Longitude: -81.347355.
Google map: