Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Tuscarawas County / 10-79 Zoarville Station/Fink Through Truss Bridge [13]

  • 10-79 Zoarville Bridge Marker 10-79 Zoarville Bridge Marker
  • 10-79 Bridge Dedication-Ribbon Cutting Sept. 15,2007 10-79 Bridge Dedication-Ribbon Cutting Sept. 15,2007
  • 10-79 Zoaville Bridge side view 10-79 Zoaville Bridge side view
  • 10-79 Zoaville Bridge through view 10-79 Zoaville Bridge through view
  • 10-79 1921-Zoarville Bridge courtesy of The Camp Tuscazoar Foundation 10-79 1921-Zoarville Bridge courtesy of The Camp Tuscazoar Foundation
  • 10-79 Zoarville Station/Fink Through Truss Bridge 10-79 Zoarville Station/Fink Through Truss Bridge
  • 10-79 Fink Through Truss Bridge 10-79 Fink Through Truss Bridge
  • 10-79 2008 Spring Flood  Zoarville Station Bridge 10-79 2008 Spring Flood Zoarville Station Bridge
  • 10-79 The marker 6/29/2013 10-79 The marker 6/29/2013
  • 10-79 #10-79 Zoarville Station Fink Through Truss Bridge Profile 10-79 #10-79 Zoarville Station Fink Through Truss Bridge Profile
  • 10-79 #10-79 Zoarville Station Fink Through Truss Bridge 10-79 #10-79 Zoarville Station Fink Through Truss Bridge
  • 10-79 #10-79 Zoarville Station Fink Through Truss Bridge Marker 10-79 #10-79 Zoarville Station Fink Through Truss Bridge Marker
  • 10-79 #10-79 Zoarville Station Fink Through Truss Bridge Front 10-79 #10-79 Zoarville Station Fink Through Truss Bridge Front
Title, side A
Zoarville Station/Fink Through Truss Bridge
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
The Zoarville Station Bridge is a rare survivor of the earliest period of iron bridge construction in the United States, an era when unprecedented railroad expansion gave American bridge builders an international reputation for innovation. German immigrant Albert Fink first developed this truss design for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in the early 1850s. Charles Shaler Smith, a prominent civil engineer and Fink's former assistant, designed the bridge with patented features that improved on Fink's original design. His firm, Smith, Latrobe & Company of Baltimore, Maryland, built this example in 1868 as a highway bridge over the Tuscarawas River in Dover. It was moved to this site in 1905 and abandoned in 1940. The Lebold family donated the bridge to the Camp Tuscazoar Foundation in 1997 for preservation and restoration. Of the hundreds of Fink Truss bridges built in the mid-1800s, the Zoarville Station Bridge is the last of its kind known to exist.
Location
Intersection of State Routes 800 and 212