Front Text: Alexander Sutherland (1767-1845) and his wife Sarah (1768-1836) were the first settlers in Newton Township, Trumbull County, Ohio. Coming from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, the Sutherlands acquired 205 acres of land along Duck Creek southward from this site. Alexander was an influential person in the area after the settlement was made at Duck Creek. He was the second Recorder and the first elected Surveyor for Trumbull County. He was an early Mason with Old Erie Lodge, Warren schoolteacher, postmaster at Newton, Newton Township Trustee and Clerk, and Justice of the Peace. Sutherland, along with Ezekiel Hover, marked the first path from this Duck Creek settlement to Youngstown to reach the nearest mill. Back Text: Early pioneers came to Newton Township a year before Ohio became a state. A plentiful water supply and the waterpower provided by the east and west branches of the Mahoning River, natural falls, and two creeks drew them to the area. The lands between the streams provided rich bottom soil for agriculture and great stands of white oak were later exported for lumber and shipbuilding. Duck Creek was the route by which Native Americans traveled to reach the salt springs located to the northeast which also provided the settlers with a means for preserving their own food. The Duck Creek settlers were followed by others at the River (Pricetown) and Kale Creek, and then at the Falls (Newton Falls) in 1806-1807.Location: Intersection of Hallock-Youg and Hallock-Sook Rd, Newton Twp.