Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Summit County / 4-77 Early Synthetic Soda Ash Plant [6]

  • 4-77 The Setting 4-77 The Setting
  • 4-77 One Side 4-77 One Side
  • 4-77 The Back Side 4-77 The Back Side
  • 4-77 #1-The Setting 4-77 #1-The Setting
  • 4-77 #2- The Marker 4-77 #2- The Marker
  • 4-77 #3-The Other Side 4-77 #3-The Other Side
Title, side A
Early Synthetic Soda Ash Plant
Text, side A
Production of synthetic soda ash began here, in America's second plant, on November 1, 1900, by Columbia Chemical Company to support Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company (now PPG Industries), marking birth of PPG's diversified chemical operations. Principal founder John Pitcairn, first works manager Hugh Allen Galt. Plant subsequently added other chemicals. World's deepest limestone mine (2200 feet beneath surface) established 1944. Soda ash discontinued 1973.
Address
4829 Fairland Road
Barberton, OH 44203
Location
4829 Fairland Road, PPG Industries Building
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.998153, Longitude: -81.620040.
Google map: