Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Summit County / 22-77 The Mustill Site [11]

  • 22-77 #1- The Mustill Site at Lock 15 - Aug '06 22-77 #1- The Mustill Site at Lock 15 - Aug '06
  • 22-77 #2- The Mustill Store - Museum/ Visitor Center 22-77 #2- The Mustill Store - Museum/ Visitor Center
  • 22-77 #3- The Mustill House 22-77 #3- The Mustill House
  • 22-77 #4- The Setting 22-77 #4- The Setting
  • 22-77 #5- Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trailhead 22-77 #5- Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trailhead
  • 22-77 #6 - Lock 14 and 13 22-77 #6 - Lock 14 and 13
  • 22-77 Cascade Valley side of Marker W-Coords 22-77 Cascade Valley side of Marker W-Coords
  • 22-77 Mustill Site side of Marker W-Coords 22-77 Mustill Site side of Marker W-Coords
  • 22-77 Marker In museum-Store 22-77 Marker In museum-Store
  • 22-77 Street sign By Entrance to parking lot 22-77 Street sign By Entrance to parking lot
  • 22-77 Mustill Site 22-77 Mustill Site
Title, side A
The Mustill Site
Title, side B
The Cascade Valley
Text, side A
The Mustill house and store are survivors of Akron's canal era and date to the 1840s. Joseph and Sarah Mustill moved their family from England to Akron in 1833 and owned the store and Greek Revival house at Lock 15 on the Ohio & Erie Canal. Three generations of Mustills lived and worked the grocery business at Lock 15, first Joseph and Sarah, then their son Fred with his wife Emma, and their children Maria, Frederick, Edwin and Franklin. A popular place to buy or barter goods, the store served canallers, farmers, craftsmen, and neighbors for many years.
Text, side B
The Ohio & Erie Canal was completed from Cleveland to Akron in 1827. From the Mustill Site, the canal rose 15 locks to the summit in Akron. The "Cascade Mill Race," built by Dr. Eliakim Crosby in 1832, paralleled the canal, creating a large manufacturing center of mills that derived its power from water from the Little Cuyahoga River. The canal carried products north to Lake Erie or south to the Ohio River reaching worldwide ports. In March 1913, a flood ended canal operations in this area.
Address
234 and 248 Ferndale Street
Akron, OH 44304
Location
234 & 248 Ferndale Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.091400, Longitude: -81.518000.
Google map: