Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Summit County / 21-77 Western Reserve College and Academy [10]

  • #1- Western Reserve College Chapel  - Dec '06 #1- Western Reserve College Chapel - Dec '06
  • 21-77 #2- The Setting - The Marker 21-77 #2- The Setting - The Marker
  • Marker 21-77 Marker 21-77
  • 21-77 The marker 6/23/2013 21-77 The marker 6/23/2013
  • 21-77 #5- South of Chapel 21-77 #5- South of Chapel
  • 21-77 #4- North of Chapel 21-77 #4- North of Chapel
  • 21-77 #3- The Chapel - Built 1836 21-77 #3- The Chapel - Built 1836
  • 21-77 #6- Loomis Observatory - Built 1838 21-77 #6- Loomis Observatory - Built 1838
  • 21-77 Western Reserve College Chapel 21-77 Western Reserve College Chapel
  • 21-77 Western Reserve College 21-77 Western Reserve College
Title, side A
Western Reserve College and Academy
Text, side A
With the help of town founder, David Hudson, Western Reserve College and its Academy were founded in 1826. Often called "The Yale of the West," the college saw success initially as all of its professors and college presidents were Yale College graduates. Nationally, Western Reserve College became involved with the Underground Railroad and anti-slavery movement 28 years before the Civil War began. Moreover, Western Reserve College established the Loomis observatory, named for Elias Loomis, a Yale tutor and WRC professor, which is now the second oldest observatory in the United States. The Western Reserve College moved to Cleveland in 1882 and eventually became Case Western Reserve University while the Academy remained in Hudson. Today, the Western Reserve Academy is one of the nation's oldest and most respected independent college preparatory schools.
Address
115 College Street
Hudson, OH 44236
Location
NE corner of College St & Chapel St
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.245601, Longitude: -81.437444.
Google map: