Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Summit County / 2-77 First Congregational Church [13]

  • First Congregational Church in Tallmadge First Congregational Church in Tallmadge
  • Marker 2-77 setting Marker 2-77 setting
  • 2-77 The marker 6/23/2013 2-77 The marker 6/23/2013
  • 2-77 2-77
  • Tallmadge Church sign Tallmadge Church sign
  • 2-77 First Congregational Church 2-77 First Congregational Church
  • 2-77 2-77
  • 2-77 2-77
  • 2-77 2-77
  • 2-77 First Congregation Church 2-77 First Congregation Church
  • 2-77 Tallmadge Congregational Church 2-77 Tallmadge Congregational Church
  • 2-77 2-77
  • 2-77 2-77
Title, side A
First Congregational Church
Text, side A
Tallmadge was established in 1807 by David Bacon as a Congregational community. In 1821 local landowners donated timber to build this church, designed and constructed by one of Ohio's first architects, Col. Lemuel Porter. Dedicated on September 8, 1825, the structure is considered to be a perfect example of the pure Connecticut-type of Federal architecture. It is the oldest Ohio church to be continuously occupied as a place of worship.
Address
115 Tallmadge Circle
Tallmadge, OH 44278
Location
At the northern end of the Tallmadge Town Square
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.101823, Longitude: -81.441141.
Google map: