Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Summit County / 14-77 Colt Barn - Anna Dean Farm [7]

  • 14-77 The Setting 14-77 The Setting
  • 14-77 The Marker 14-77 The Marker
  • 14-77 Another View 14-77 Another View
  • 14-77 The marker 8/10/2013 14-77 The marker 8/10/2013
  • 14-77 14-77
  • 14-77 14-77
  • 14-77 14-77
Title, side A
Colt Barn - Anna Dean Farm
Text, side A
Ohio Columbus Barber, a wealthy Ohio businessman and founder of Barberton, retired in 1905 to develop his Anna Dean Farm. Built in 1910, the colt barn was a part of this 3000-acre estate. Although originally intended for bulls, the building was converted in 1912 to a stable for colts. Akron architects Harpster and Bliss designed the barn, and it was the smallest on the farm. Like many buildings erected by Barber, the colt barn features the patriotic red, white, and blue color scheme he favored. Between Barber's death in 1920 and the founding of the Barberton Historical Society in 1974, all but nine of the estate's thirty-five original buildings were razed. The historical society saved the colt barn in 1978, which led to the birth of the city's historic preservation movement. The society completed restoration of the colt barn in 1998 with a grant from the Barberton Community Foundation.
Address
740 Austin Drive
Barberton, OH 44203
Location
740 Austin Drive
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.005514, Longitude: -81.579670.
Google map: