Home / Stark County / 1-76 Ohio and Erie Canal 
- Title, side A
- Ohio and Erie Canal
- Text, side A
- Sounds of boat horns and brawling packet crews resounded for many years at this lock and 142 others on the Ohio and Erie Canal. The canal was a 308-mile water toll road built between 1825 and 1832 from Lake Erie at Cleveland to the Ohio River at Portsmouth. The early growth of Akron and Massillon was due to the canal. Railroads caused its decline and the flood of 1913 destroyed its usefulness.
- The Ohio Historical Society and Division of Wildlife, Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- Located at county park between Massillon and Canal Fulton