Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Scioto County / 8-73 Portsmouth and The Ohio River [12]

Title, side A
Portsmouth and The Ohio River
Text, side A
The Ohio River floodwaters account for Portsmouth's settlement. Alexandria, the county's first town, was laid out in 1799 on the west bank of the Scioto at its confluence with the Ohio. Early settlers in Alexandria were forced to higher ground across the river in Portsmouth because of frequent flooding. As a result, Portsmouth, platted in 1803, became Scioto County's seat and business center by 1814. Prominent local industries included brick, stone, steel, wood products, and shoe manufacturing. As of 2003, the Ohio River is the cornerstone of Portsmouth's transportation system, providing a means for materials to reach destinations throughout the region. It also serves as a recreation hub. The three-mile long levy, first built in 1908, failed in the 1937 flood and was subsequently improved.
Location
1634 SR 232
Coordinates
Latitude: 38.7305270, Longitude: -83.0021820.
Google map: