Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Sandusky County / 6-72 Maumee and Western Reserve Turnpike [3]

  • 6-72 Woodville The Lime Center of he World Marker 6-72 Woodville The Lime Center of he World Marker
  • 6-72 Proudly displayed in downtown Woodville 6-72 Proudly displayed in downtown Woodville
  • 6-72 The Marker is located in front of the Woodville Town Hall 6-72 The Marker is located in front of the Woodville Town Hall
Title, side A
Maumee and Western Reserve Turnpike
Title, side B
Woodville "The Lime Center of the World"
Text, side A
The first road to traverse Sandusky County through the Black Swamp was little more than a muddy path connecting Lower Sandusky (Fremont( and Perrysburg with Woodville. The arduous task of clearing the 120-foot-wide road through the swampy forest was completed within four years. By 1842, the work of stoning the road and draining adjacent lands was completed. Tolls were collected to maintain the road, and it became known as the Maumee and Western Reserve Turnpike. After 1888 it became a toll-free road and today is State Route 20.
Text, side B
Woodville and the surrounding area is situated in the center of a huge deposit of some of the purest dolomitic limestone in the world. The absence of cracks in the rock stratum and relatively level terrain in the area prevents the contamination of the limestone. In recent years, Ohio has ranked as high as first nationally in the production of lime, and fourth in the production of crushed stone. Demand for the lime and lime products as a building material led to the economic growth and development of Woodville.
Address
219 W. Main Street
Woodville, OH 43469
Location
219 West Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.450930, Longitude: -83.364210.
Google map: