Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Richland County / 9-70 Johnny Appleseed's Town Lot [3]

  • 9-70 Marker 9-70 9-70 Marker 9-70
  • 9-70 By the flagpole 9-70 By the flagpole
  • 9-70 Wappner Funeral Home 9-70 Wappner Funeral Home
Title, side A
Johnny Appleseed's Town Lot
Text, side A
John "Appleseed" Chapman is considered one of Richland County's original pioneers. In the summer of 1809, Chapman arrived in the Mansfield area just as Mansfield's first town lots were being offered for sale. Chapman purchased town lot 265 for $120 from Henry H. Wilcoxen. Wilcoxen served as Richland County Sheriff from 1820 to 1825. Chapman later sold the lot to Jesse Edgington on October 30, 1818 for $100. During the War of 1812, approximately two blocks west of this site, members of the Delaware Indian tribe were encamped in a ravine southwest of the public square. After being removed by military force and their village burned, the Delaware were en route from their village in Greentown to the Council at Piqua under Colonel Samuel Kratzer.
Address
98 South Diamond St.
Mansfield, OH 44902
Location
Wappner Funeral Directors & Crematory
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.755870, Longitude: -82.514400.
Google map: