Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Preble County / 9-68 VAN AUSDAL-DONOHOE HOUSE [10]

Title, side A
VAN AUSDAL-DONOHOE HOUSE
Title, side B
VAN AUSDAL-DONOHOE HOUSE
Text, side A
This mid-19th-century structure, built in the Federal style with Italianate detail added later, was once owned by town pioneer and merchant Cornelius Van Ausdal. It was later the home of his daughter Lucinda, her husband Joseph Donohoe, and their four children. Presidential candidate William Henry Harrison reportedly stayed here while he was in Eaton to deliver a campaign speech on September 8, 1840. Lucinda Donohoe reputedly also hosted circuit-riding preachers here and owned the area's first piano. From 1938 to1966, this building housed Mrs. Wagner's Colonial Kitchen, a nationally recognized restaurant.
Address
122 E. Main St.
Eaton, OH 45320
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.744074, Longitude: 84.635339.
Google map: