Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Preble County / 6-68 William Bruce (1762-1830) [5]

  • 6-68 The marker is on the corner 6-68 The marker is on the corner
  • 6-68 Bruce Marker and Preble County Courthouse 6-68 Bruce Marker and Preble County Courthouse
  • 6-68 Bruce statue at the park 6-68 Bruce statue at the park
  • 6-68 Site of Marker 6-68 Site of Marker
  • 6-68 City of Eaton, Preble County 6-68 City of Eaton, Preble County
Title, side A
William Bruce (1762-1830)
Text, side A
William Bruce founded and platted the city of Eaton in 1806. Born in Virginia in 1762, Bruce relocated to Ohio in 1793. In 1806, he purchased nearly two thousand acres of land from the government for the founding of Eaton. Bruce, a Revolutionary War veteran, named the town for General William Eaton, a veteran of the Tripolitan War, a war fought between the United States and the Barbary States from 1800-1805. Some of Eaton's principal streets also took their names from other Tripolitan War veterans, including Somers, Decatur, and Israel. Bruce established the first sawmill and gristmill in Eaton and often distributed corn meal to the needy and deserving. He also made liberal donations of land for the benefit of the town, and sold many lots inexpensively or on partial payment to induce settlers to locate in the town. William Bruce died in 1830 and is interred in the Mound Hill Cemetery in Eaton.
Address
Corner of Main and Barron Streets
Eaton, OH 45320
Location
Corner of Main and Barron Streets
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.743680, Longitude: -84.636710.
Google map: