Home / Portage County / 9-67 Mogadore 
- Title, side A
- Text, side A
- Legend has it that Mogadore's first settler, Ariel Bradley, was a spy for George Washington in October, 1776. As a nine year old boy, Ariel crossed British lines on a supposed errand to the nearest grist mill and returned with troop positions and tent counts. In 1801, Ariel left Connecticut to make his new home in what would be Ohio. In 1807, he built a log cabin on a 146 acre plot of farm land that cost $335. Until 1825 the new community had been named Bradleyville, but Ariel did not want the area named after him. Martin Kent was building a residence and a sailor, John Robinson, climbed to the top of the framework, pulled a flask of whiskey from his pocket. Breaking the flask on the last beam of construction, Robinson shouted "Three cheers for Mogador," which is a large city in Morocco, thusly christening the area Mogadore.
- Text, side B
- Early on, an abundant water supply provided for an industrial boom in Mogadore's local mills. Flour, carding, cider, and lumber were produced at the mills, along with tanning, a barrel factory, wheel and millwrights. In 1828, clay was discovered which led to mining and as many as twenty-one potteries surrounding the community. Millions of pieces of stoneware were produced here and shipped all over the country via the Erie Canal in Akron. Mined clay was also shipped as far away as Canada for production elsewhere. Paving bricks and sewer pipes were also produced in the area. To preserve the area's history, the Mogadore Historical Society was founded in the 1930s. In 1983, with the help of grants and fundraisers, the Mills-Kreiner House and the Norfolk and Western Railroad depot were moved to the present site. This site houses many items of Mogadore's history, including many clay pieces.
- Village of Mogadore and The Ohio Historical Society
- 87 S Cleveland Ave
Mogadore, OH 44260
- 87 S Cleveland Ave., Mogadore