Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Portage County / 6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850 [11]

  • 6-67 THE MARKER 6-67 THE MARKER
  • 6-67 IN FRONT OF A CAMPUS BUILDING ON THE WEST SIDE OF ROUTE 700 6-67 IN FRONT OF A CAMPUS BUILDING ON THE WEST SIDE OF ROUTE 700
  • 6-67 6-67
  • 6-67 Marker #6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850 6-67 Marker #6-67 Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850
  • 6-67 Full view 6-67 Full view
  • 6-67 Marker in fromt of the Hinsdale Building on campus 6-67 Marker in fromt of the Hinsdale Building on campus
  • 6-67 The marker 10/27/2013 6-67 The marker 10/27/2013
  • 6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty Photograph 6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty Photograph
  • 6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty Photograph 6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) Faculty Photograph
  • 6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College) 6-67 Western Reserve Eclectic Institute (Hiram College)
  • 6-67 Hiram College Students on Steps of Bowler Hall 6-67 Hiram College Students on Steps of Bowler Hall
Title, side A
Hiram College, Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, 1850
Text, side A
Founded in 1850 by the Disciples of Christ, or "Campbellites," this institution of higher education was chartered as Hiram College in 1867. The College's original charter provided for instruction for both men and women, and Hiram served as an early example of successful coeducation. From 1857 to 1861, James A. Garfield, 20th president of the United States, held the principalship of the institute. It continues today as one of Ohio's successful liberal arts colleges.
Address
11753 Garfield Road (Rt 700)
Hiram, OH 44234
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.187130, Longitude: 81.086200.
Google map: