Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Butler County / 5-9 Village of Miltonville [3]

  • 5-9 Marker and Setting 5-9 Marker and Setting
  • 5-9 Marker 5-9 Marker
  • 5-9 The Setting Jan. 2010 5-9 The Setting Jan. 2010
Title, side A
Village of Miltonville
Text, side A
The village of Miltonville, located along the banks of Elk Creek, was platted in 1816 by George Bennett, Theophilus Eaglesfield, and Richard V. V. Crane. The creek served two grist mills, one built around 1804 and operated by a free black, Bambo Harris, and the second was built by George Bennett in 1815. An Indian burial ground was located on the east bank of Elk Creek near the site of Huff's Ferry. Eagle Tavern, the area's first three-story brick inn, was a stopover for stagecoach lines traveling the Miltonville-Trenton Turnpike. The village was known for pottery factories, vineyards and wineries, and Frisch's brickyard, established in 1880. The United Brethren Church, organized in 1811, and Miltonville Cemetery were the sites of church conferences and celebrations. The Miltonville School operated from the 1800s to 1936, and the local post office was in service during the years 1889-1904.
Location
Located at the corner of Howe and Elk Creek roads, land that currently houses the operations of the South Madison Fire Department, 4398 Elk Creek Road, Madison Township