Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Perry County / 6-64 First Lutheran Synod [1]

  • 6-64 First Lutheran Synod 6-64 First Lutheran Synod
Title, side A
First Lutheran Synod
Text, side A
Lutheran congregations formed in Perry County beginning in the late eighteenth to early nineteenth century. The Mother Synod, the Evangelical Lutheran Ministerium of Pennsylvania, sent missionary pastors to Ohio to preach to the growing number of Lutherans moving into the state. St. Paul congregation was formed in 1812 under the leadership of William Forester. On September 14, 1818, the Joint Synod of Ohio, the first synodical organization of Lutherans west of the Appalachian Mountains and one of the earliest predecessors of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, was founded in Somerset at the original log church on this site. St. Paul's current church on W. Main was constructed in 1844.
Location
St. Paul Luthern Church, Gay Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.482360, Longitude: -82.177920.
Google map: