Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ottawa County / 8-62 Gibraltar Island [12]

  • Gibraltar Island Gibraltar Island
  • Marker 8-62 setting Marker 8-62 setting
  • 8-62 Gibtaltar Island 8-62 Gibtaltar Island
  • 8-62 The Setting 8-62 The Setting
  • 8-62 Gilbralter Island 8-62 Gilbralter Island
  • 8-62 Observation Site today 8-62 Observation Site today
  • 8-62 Marker 8-62 Marker
  • 8-62 Gibraltar Island 8-62 Gibraltar Island
  • 8-62 Gibtaltar Island 8-62 Gibtaltar Island
  • 8-62 Cooke Castle, Gilbraltar Island 8-62 Cooke Castle, Gilbraltar Island
  • 8-62 Cooke's Castle #14-62 8-62 Cooke's Castle #14-62
  • 8-62 Dolomite Ledges 8-62 Dolomite Ledges
Title, side A
Gibraltar Island
Text, side A
This 6.5 acre island, named for the resemblance of its dolomite ledges to the Rock of Gibraltar, was the likely observation site for Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's naval forces during the Battle of Lake Erie in September 1813. Stone Laboratory, located on both Gibraltar and South Bass islands, is the oldest freshwater biological field station and research laboratory in the United States. Founded in 1895 as the Lake Laboratory, it was named for Franz Stone, whose son Julius purchased the island from the Jay Cooke family and presented it to Ohio State University in 1925. It continues as the research and teaching laboratory for the Ohio Sea Grant College Program. The Jay Cooke Castle on the island is a National Historic Landmark.
Address
Across from 878 Bayview Avenue
Put-in-Bay, OH 43452
Location
Near the Stone Laboratory sign
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.657962, Longitude: -82.827228.
Google map: