Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ottawa County / 7-62 Israel Harrington and Elmore [8]

  • Israel Harrington and Elmore marker Israel Harrington and Elmore marker
  • 7-62 Israel Harrington and Elmore 7-62 Israel Harrington and Elmore
  • 7-62 The Marker is easy to find in Elmore 7-62 The Marker is easy to find in Elmore
  • 7-62 Marker 7-62 Marker
  • 7-62 Israel Harrington and Elmore Marker 7-62 Israel Harrington and Elmore Marker
  • 7-62 Israel Harrington and Elmore Marker 7-62 Israel Harrington and Elmore Marker
  • 7-62 Elmore is proud of iys heritage 7-62 Elmore is proud of iys heritage
  • 7-62 Downtown Elmore in December 2009 7-62 Downtown Elmore in December 2009
Title, side A
Israel Harrington and Elmore
Text, side A
Israel Harrington (1779-1841) established a tavern at Lower Sandusky (now Fremont) shortly after the War of 1812. As a judge and land speculator, Harrington influenced the organization of much of northwestern Ohio. In 1824 he traded the tavern for land a short distance from this site, where an Indian trail crossed the Portage River. Elmore grew from this settlement. Harrington and his father (also Israel Harrington, a veteran of the American Revolution) are interred here, along with many of the pioneers who transformed this section of the Black Swamp into productive farmland.
Address
Intersection of Rice and Clinton Streets
Elmore, OH 43416
Location
In the cemetery on the N side of Rice Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.478047, Longitude: -83.290342.
Google map: