Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ottawa County / 4-62 Camp Perry [7]

  • Camp Perry Camp Perry
  • 4-62 Camp Perry Photographs 4-62 Camp Perry Photographs
  • 304 7624 304 7624
  • 4-62 Marker Front 4-62 Marker Front
  • 4-62 Marker Back 4-62 Marker Back
  • 4-62 Camp Perry 4-62 Camp Perry
  • 4-62 Camp Perry 4-62 Camp Perry
Title, side A
Camp Perry
Text, side A
In an effort to improve the marksmanship of Ohio soldiers, Adjutant General Ammon B. Critchfield established Camp Perry, an Ohio National Guard Military Training site on the shore of Lake Erie in 1906. Camp Perry was named after Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, who defeated British forces in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. This particular location was ideal for shooting ranges because varying-length ranges were able to share a common firing line, and shooting practice could take place on all ranges, without the added risk of stray bullets. (continued on other side)
Text, side B
These specialized shooting ranges were developed for national and international competition between civilian and military teams. Camp Perry has played numerous roles through the years, including holding Italian and German prisoners of war during World War II and, at varying times, serving as an Army Reception Center. National Rifle Association rifle and pistol matches have been held here since 1907. Additionally, in 1990, United States Coast Guard reservists trained here in preparation for the Persian Gulf War.
Address
Intersection of Niagra and Lawrence Road
Port Clinton, OH 43452
Location
At the Memorial Plaza at the end of Niagra
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.544788, Longitude: -83.019663.
Google map: