Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Ottawa County / 15-62 Lakeside - "The Chautauqua of Lake Erie" [11]

  • 15-62 Dedication 15-62 Dedication
  • 15-62 Before the Dedication Ceremony 15-62 Before the Dedication Ceremony
  • 15-62 Lakeside Association Board of Directors Chairwoman Nancy Carlson 15-62 Lakeside Association Board of Directors Chairwoman Nancy Carlson
  • 15-62 Lakeside Association President Kevin Sibbring and Lakeside Association Board of Directors Chairwoman Nancy Carlson 15-62 Lakeside Association President Kevin Sibbring and Lakeside Association Board of Directors Chairwoman Nancy Carlson
  • 15-62 Unveiling of Historic Dedication Marker 15-62 Unveiling of Historic Dedication Marker
  • 15-62 Historic Dedication Marker 15-62 Historic Dedication Marker
  • 15-62 The Setting 15-62 The Setting
  • 15-62 Gateway Entrance 15-62 Gateway Entrance
  • 15-62 Homes 15-62 Homes
  • 15-62 Lakeside Hotel 15-62 Lakeside Hotel
  • 15-62 Marker 15-62 Marker
Title, side A
Lakeside - "The Chautauqua of Lake Erie"
Text, side A
Established in 1873, Lakeside is a pioneer of the American Chautauqua Movement, one of the greatest revival movements in United States history which flourished in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Founded by the Methodist Church, Lakeside is one of the few existing Chautauqua communities that remain and thrive today. Each summer, the late-Victorian community provides spiritual, cultural, intellectual, and recreational programs designed to nurture the mind, body, and spirit. It draws visitors from across the country and around the world for its Chautauqua program. Lakeside is recognized on the National Register of Historic Places.
Address
236 Walnut Ave
Lakeside, OH 43440
Location
The Lakeside Association