Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Morgan County / 11-58 Big Bottom Massacre [5]

  • 11-58 Big Bottom with River View 11-58 Big Bottom with River View
  • 11-58 Big Bottom Monument 11-58 Big Bottom Monument
  • 11-58 Big Bottom Monument 11-58 Big Bottom Monument
  • 11-58 Big Bottom Massacre 11-58 Big Bottom Massacre
  • 11-58 Big Bottom 11-58 Big Bottom
Title, side A
Big Bottom Massacre
Text, side A
Following the American Revolution, the new Federal government, in need of operating funds, sold millions of acres of western lands to land companies. One such company, the Ohio Company of Associates, brought settlement to Marietta in 1788. Two years later, despite warnings of Native American hostility, an association of 36 Company members moved north from Marietta to settle "Big Bottom," a large area of level land on the east side of the Muskingum River. The settlers were acquainted with Native American warfare, but even so, built an unprotected outpost. They did not complete the blockhouse, put pickets around it, or post a sentry. On January 2, 1791, a war party of 25 Delaware and Wyandot Indians from the north attacked the unsuspecting settlers, killing nine men, one woman, and two children. War raged throughout the Ohio Country until August 1794 when the tribes were defeated at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.
Location
State Route 266
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.533606, Longitude: -81.773867.
Google map: