Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Montgomery County / 4-57 Charles F. Kettering [11]

  • 4-57 The Setting 4-57 The Setting
  • 4-57 Marker 4-57 4-57 Marker 4-57
  • 4-57 Companion Marker 4-57 Companion Marker
  • 4-57 Engineers' Club 4-57 Engineers' Club
  • 4-57 Across Monument Avenue 4-57 Across Monument Avenue
  • 4-57 Marker 4-57 Marker
  • 4-57 Engineers Club 4-57 Engineers Club
  • 4-57 A View Down the Sidewalk 4-57 A View Down the Sidewalk
  • 4-57 Car with Kettering's Self-Starter (Om3064) 4-57 Car with Kettering's Self-Starter (Om3064)
  • 4-57 First Cash Register Replica 4-57 First Cash Register Replica
  • 4-57 Charles F. Kettering 4-57 Charles F. Kettering
Title, side A
Charles F. Kettering
Text, side A
Charles F. "Boss" Kettering was a prolific inventor. While at National Cash Register, he invented the first electric cash register. Kettering founded the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (Delco) in 1909 and developed the electric self-starter for automobiles, first used in 1912 Cadillacs. He also developed no-knock Ethyl gasoline, lacquer car finishes, four-wheel brakes, safety glass, and high-compression engines; made significant improvements to diesel engines that led to their use in locomotives, trucks, and buses; and collaborated with Thomas Midgley, Jr. in the development of the refrigerant Freon. Kettering served as President of the Society of Automotive Engineers in 1918, co-founded the Engineers' Club of Dayton (1914), and was director of research at General Motors Corporation from 1920 to 1947. His interest in medical and scientific research led to the founding of the Kettering Foundation and the Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer Research.
Address
110 E. Monument Avenue
Dayton, OH 45402
Location
Engineers Club of Dayton, 110 East Monument Ave.
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.763889, Longitude: -84.191040.
Google map: