Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Montgomery County / 10-57 The Village of Tadmor [11]

  • 10-57 Marker Side A 10-57 Marker Side A
  • 10-57 Marker Side B 10-57 Marker Side B
  • 10-57 Marker from the north 10-57 Marker from the north
  • 10-57 Marker from the south 10-57 Marker from the south
  • 10-57 Taylorsville Dam 10-57 Taylorsville Dam
  • 10-57 Taylorsville Dam sign 10-57 Taylorsville Dam sign
  • 10-57 Miami and Erie Canal sluice gate ruins at Tadmor site 10-57 Miami and Erie Canal sluice gate ruins at Tadmor site
  • 10-57 Park sign at Tadmor site 10-57 Park sign at Tadmor site
  • 10-57 Mileage sign to Tadmor at Taylorsville parking lot 10-57 Mileage sign to Tadmor at Taylorsville parking lot
  • 10-57 Ruins of bridge foundation at Tadmor site 10-57 Ruins of bridge foundation at Tadmor site
  • 10-57 Marker Dedication 10-57 Marker Dedication
Title, side A
The Village of Tadmor
Title, side B
The National Road
Text, side A
The Village of Tadmor is significant as being the location of one of the most important centers of transportation in early Ohio history. As early as 1809, keelboats were poled up river from Dayton to load and unload freight in the village. By 1837, the Miami and Erie Canal had reached Tadmor, connecting it to the Ohio River in the south and Lake Erie in the north. In the 1830s, the National Road was constructed through Tadmor, connecting it to points east and west. In 1851, the Dayton & Michigan Railroad established freight and passenger service to the growing town. Residents hoped that Tadmor's strategic location would help it prosper, however, successive flooding on the Great Miami River stifled growth. Tadmor was finally abandoned when a dam constructed by the Miami Conservancy District in 1922 to retain water during flooding made the site uninhabitable.
Text, side B
Authorized by Congress in 1806, the National Road was the nation's first federally funded interstate highway. National leaders desired an all-weather road across the Allegheny Mountains in order to develop closer political and economic ties between the east and west. Considered to be a significant engineering feat, the Road opened Ohio and much of the Old Northwest Territory to settlement, provided access for Ohio goods to reach eastern markets, and enabled Ohio citizens to play important roles in the affairs of the new nation. The National Road was renowned for the number of quality inns and taverns during the heyday of the stagecoach. The Road declined after 1850 as railroads became the preferred method of travel. The automobile, however, brought new life to the Road. Reborn as U.S. 40, it became a busy twenty-four-hour-day artery, with truck stops, motor courts, and diners until superceded by the interstate highways in the 1960s.
Address
Great Miami River Recreational Trail, Taylorsville Metro Park, 2005 U.S. Route 40
Vandalia, OH 45377
Location
1.25 mile hike N of parking area off US 40 on paved trail or S from Old Springfield Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.896980, Longitude: -84.165266.
Google map: