Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Miami County / 9-55 Rural Electrification [1]

  • 9-55 Rural Electrification 9-55 Rural Electrification
Title, side A
Rural Electrification
Text, side A
On November 14, 1935, the rural electrification movement got its start in Piqua with the installation of the first electric pole financed by the Rural Electrification Administration (REA). In partnership with the Miami Rural Electrification Cooperative, Inc., the pole was constructed to support a power line of 103 miles, bringing electricity to nearly 700 farms in the county. At the time the REA was established by the federal government, only 10% of the rural population had electricity. Today, electric cooperative lines reach more than 10 million consumers in 47 states
Address
Marker has been replaced by 10-55
Piqua, OH 45356
Location
Municipal Power Plant