Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Miami County / 13-55 Junior Girls Canteen, 1943-1946 [2]

  • 13-55 Junior Girls Canteen marker 2006 13-55 Junior Girls Canteen marker 2006
  • 13-55 Listing of the girls located at base of marker 13-55 Listing of the girls located at base of marker
Title, side A
Junior Girls Canteen, 1943-1946
Text, side A
During World War II, forty of Troy's teenage girls, their mothers, and volunteers operated a free canteen service for troops on the platform of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad station. The group began as a few neighborhood girls providing magazines to soldiers while trains were stopped. With support and donations from Miami County communities and six additional counties, thousands of food baskets and countless drinks were given to approximately 600,000 soldiers trackside. Books, games, cigarettes, and other sundries were made available to soldiers on their trips to and from Europe or the Pacific. The volunteers of the Junior Girls Canteen served every train and soldier that came through the station, whether it was in the dead of night or the coldest day of winter. Throughout World War II, many other canteens were created across the nation, including eleven other canteens in Ohio.
Address
100 E. West Street
Troy, OH 45373
Location
Herrlinger Park
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.032625, Longitude: -84.201737.
Google map: