Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Marion County / 8-51 The "Old Blockhouse" Site [2]

  • 8-51 Marker closeup 8-51 Marker closeup
  • 8-51 The "Old Blockhouse" Site Marker 8-51 The "Old Blockhouse" Site Marker
Title, side A
The "Old Blockhouse" Site
Text, side A
The U.S. Army built a two-story blockhouse on a nearby hill during the War of 1812. The blockhouse was one of a series of such structures erected along the Greenville Treaty line to guard against Native Americans who supported the British during the conflict. After the war, Daniel Markley, one of Green Camp Township's first white inhabitants, settled near the blockhouse. In 1963, the graves of twenty-five prehistoric Glacial Kame Indians and six white settlers were discovered near the blockhouse site. Seventeen War of 1812 veterans and eight others were also buried there. These bodies were subsequently removed and reinterred at Green Camp Cemetery. An abandoned right-of-way of the Erie Railroad, Dayton line, also passes through the area. Prairie grasses that once dominated parts of Marion County can still be found in the vicinity.
Address
LaRue-Prospect Road South, State Route 203
Marion, OH 43302
Location
W side of State Route 203, S of intersection with State Route 739
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.548522, Longitude: -83.191450.
Google map: