Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Marion County / 13-51 Marion Steam Shovel [7]

  • 13-51 marker 13-51 marker
  • 13-51 marker and bucket from steamshovel 13-51 marker and bucket from steamshovel
  • 13-51  bucket from steamshovel 13-51 bucket from steamshovel
  • 13-51 Another marker there 13-51 Another marker there
  • 13-51 #13-51 Marion Steam Shovel 2 13-51 #13-51 Marion Steam Shovel 2
  • 13-51 #13-51 Marion Steam Shovel 13-51 #13-51 Marion Steam Shovel
  • 13-51 The Mountaineer 13-51 The Mountaineer
Title, side A
Marion Steam Shovel
Text, side A
The Marion Steam Shovel Company built the primary tools for America's civil engineering for more than 100 years. Founded in 1884 by Henry M. Barnhart, George W. King, and Edward Huber, the company's patent steam shovels helped revolutionize railway and road construction, and were used in the building of the Panama Canal, Hoover Dam, and the Holland Tunnel. "The Shovel" also built ditchers, log loaders, dredges, and draglines, including some of the largest land vehicles ever built. The first electric machine was built in 1915, but it was not until 1946 that the name was changed to Marion Power Shovel. In the mid-twentieth century, "The Shovel" employed 2,500 workers. In the 1960s, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration selected Marion to build the crawlers that transport spacecraft to their launch pads. Hundred-year rival Bucyrus International acquired and closed the company in 1997.
Address
617 W. Center Street
Marion, OH 43301
Location
617 W. Center Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.588705, Longitude: -83.141168.
Google map: