Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Mahoning County / 3-50 Maple-Dell Built 1848 [8]

  • 3-50 The Setting 3-50 The Setting
  • 3-50 Marker #3-50 3-50 Marker #3-50
  • 3-50 The House 3-50 The House
  • 3-50 Edwin Coppock Memorial 3-50 Edwin Coppock Memorial
  • 3-50 And Closer 3-50 And Closer
  • 3-50 Memorial Location 3-50 Memorial Location
  • 3-50 Marker 3-50 Marker
  • 3-50 Edwin Coppock Memorial 3-50 Edwin Coppock Memorial
Title, side A
Maple-Dell Built 1848
Text, side A
Maple-Dell was the home of John Butler, a Quaker who expressed his religious faith by working for humanitarian causes. An early Goshen Township teacher, Butler opened his home to orphans, the homeless, and runaway slaves, and devoted 20 years of his life to support the Freedman's Camps for former slaves. One of the many individuals he sheltered was Edwin Coppock who was hung along with abolitionist, John Brown, after the raid on Harper's Ferry in 1859. Butler met with President Lincoln and Secretary of War, Edwin Stanton in 1862 to request exemption from military service for Quakers during the Civil War. In 1868, President Grant petitioned the churches to assist in organizing a peace policy for the Indians. Butler prepared and presented to Congress a proposal for treating the Indians humanely including providing them with scientific and industrial education.
Address
14737 Garfield Road
Salem, OH 44460
Location
Maple-Dell John Butler Farm, 14737 Garfield Rd.
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.916078, Longitude: -80.931290.
Google map: