Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Mahoning County / 27-50 The Old Stone Tavern [7]

  • 27-50 Front view of tavern 27-50 Front view of tavern
  • 27-50 marker 27-50 marker
  • 27-50 Side view of tavern with marker to left 27-50 Side view of tavern with marker to left
  • 27-50 Tavern 1 27-50 Tavern 1
  • 27-50 Tavern 2 27-50 Tavern 2
  • 27-50 Old Stone Tavern 27-50 Old Stone Tavern
  • 27-50 Marker 27-50 Marker
Title, side A
The Old Stone Tavern
Text, side A
Built in 1804 by Jonathan Fowler, one of the founders of Poland Village, this structure served as his family home, general store, tavern and a hotel all at the same time. It became an important stagecoach stop on the main highway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. In 1861, the future President of the United States, William McKinley was sworn into the Union Army from the tavern's front porch.
Address
121 S Main St
Poland, OH 44514
Location
The Old Stone Tavern